Sunday, August 3, 2008

Trek

Brad and I were asked to be a Ma and Pa for our ward on the Trek this year. I really was not happy to go. I don't think I would have gone had I known what it would be like on the trail. It was so hot and dirty. At some points I didn't think my legs were going to keep moving. We pulled the carts for almost 30 miles over the four days. I just couldn't believe that the pioneers did this for months with worse conditions. That knowledge and the spirit kept me going. The worst part by far was the women's pull. I should have taken a picture of the hill, but I wasn't really in the picture taking mood. It was kind of a reenactment of when the men were called away with the Mormon Battalion and the women had to keep going on their own. They picked the steepest hill of the whole trek. My three girls and I pulled the cart up the hill on our own. I really thought that I wasn't going to make it. The boys stood at the top of the hill and sang. They weren't allowed to help us until we got to the top. I was so happy to see Brad and our boys come through the crowd. The boys were all really nice and helpful that night. Our boys said that Brad was really nervous the whole time thinking that it was too far and too steep. Ryder got an ear infection while we were gone so he wasn't very pleasant. Thank you to Grandma and Grandpa Hales for tending. He wore them out to say the least!
It ended up being a good experience. We got to know and love all of the youth in our ward. I think that Brad and I both needed something like this in our lives right now. All of the pioneer stories and devotionals were amazing. It was a really good week in that respect. When all is said and done it is fun to look back and remember, but would I go again? Not likely!

We didn't take many pictures, but here are some. This is one of the boys in our ward. He thought it would be fun to make stripes. This was what we looked like every night after treking. We were caked in dirt!!



This is Brad on the bus to go home. He is smiling because we are on our way to showers and Ryder!


My dirty apron and shirt. I wore these every day. I have never been so dirty!!


Our ward ready to get on the bus on day one. I grew to love all of these people!



My family! We had three girls and four boys. (Our family was considered small!) They were great.
Top: Sarah (she is holding Baby Maggie who we lost on the trek), Paris, Angalyn, me, Michael
Bottom: Alex, Bryce, Brad, Brady


Sarah, Paris, me, Angalyn


Ma and Pa Hales

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think the pioneers had sunglasses! J/K Sounds like a fun but very exhausting trip! I don't know if we will ever do the trek.

We do because we Mexi-Can! said...

I remember doing the trek when I was in young womens and it was such an amazing experience! I absolutely loved it. It was hard though. You're right, it is so unimaginable what the pioneers went through! My nephew just went on his out here in Cal, and his parents "died" on the first night and the "kids" had to do the rest of the trek themselves! I'm glad you got to go and have such a good experience.

Cloward Family said...

Bless your hearts... I don't think I could do it!! :)

BTW... Ryder's outfit is killer! I'll just call you "Martha" (Stewart) from here on out! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Matt and I were called to be Ma & Pa when we were first married. It was one of the hardest and most rewarding experiences I have had. It was a great bonding for Matt and me. Glad you made it out alive.

Wells and Chrisi Brockbank said...

oh im soo glad that you made it home.. We missed you guys... im glad that you had a good time too... Sounds extremly hard... lets go to the peaks soon...

Anika said...

Shan- You are such a trooper. My mom and dad had to go a few years ago and my mom was literally so mad at my dad who was driving alongside all of the "trekkers" (my mom) as the "water supply truck". Glad you're home!

Robbins said...

BLESS YOUR HEART!!!!!!!!! Not only for the journey but also to be the parents of some of your kids. I sure that alone was a trail! We learn and grow so much with each experience.

Robbins said...

trial not trail.....:)

The Archibald's said...

You guys have the cutest boy on the planet!!! When are we going golfing??? We go once a week, for date night, but we both suck! Let me know if you guys want to go! It would be fun!

Katie said...

WOW- that looks like hard work! You guys are awesome for going. I bet your "kids" will always remember your efforts.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! I honestly don't know if I could do it- I'm such a baby when it comes to being hot. In my old ward when the kids came back from trek and they had a few of them talk in sacrament- it sounding absolutely amazing! You're awesome!

Nicole said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I heard you hiked like 30 some odd miles!?! WOW!! I bet your glad to get home to your little guy who is so cute by the way!

John, Summer, and Makenna Lynn Larsen said...

Girl I have to say that you look amazing in the clothes and thank you for some pics I have been waiting for them.

Suzanna said...

Shannon, I can't believe my eyes. You should have been born in the pioneer era. You would have made a really cute Laura Ingalls.
-Suzanna

bunkbuddies said...

Yay for trek and everything else that you do as a YW leader! You're probably a really fun leader. The girls probably love you just as much as your 2nd graders do.